Tuesday, July 18, 2006

A-B-C

It's election day today in Georgia, and I hope those of you who are Georgia residents get up and exercise one of the few constitutional rights still allowed you.

But don't take it as seriously as Chicago residents where "vote early and often" is the mantra.

I took them up on the early option and voted last week, now I don't have to deal with any of that standing in line polling place stuff, though the news says turnout is expected to be light so sadly things like standing in line will probably not be an issue.

I have never understood why people would not go vote when called upon -- it's our only chance to fight back, really -- and I get a lot of pleasure from standing in the booth with my finger hovering over the button. Sometimes I have these little dialogues about it, payback really is a bitch when my ballot gets cast. "Do I vote for you, incumbent who did fuckall for us? I don't think so. Take THAT!" And I vote for someone else.

I voted on the "A-B-C ticket" this year. That's "Anyone But Cynthia (McKinney)", who has been my nonrepresenting representative in the House on and off for too many years. I hope to have better representation, though Ms. McKinney seems to have her supporters. I don't know why.

Exercise your right to vote whenever you get the chance. If you don't vote you get the government you deserve and you forfeit your right to bitch about it, too.