Monday, January 11, 2010

Goodbye to our kittycat



Yes, this is a silly picture -- cat pictures generally are, aren't they?

This was Mandy in happier times. When this picture was taken she was lying in a ray of sunshine from the patio door . . . she had probably just eaten and given herself a good bath and was feeling just fine.

Mandy was my mother's cat -- the only cat we've had that we went and got, my mother got her from PAWS, the rescue society here. One of my mother's friends had seen her and thought my mother might like a cat and this one just seemed to be, as the friend said, 'I think that's your cat."

And so my mother went down and picked her up and brought her home, and sure enough, she was our cat.

She was our cat for nearly 18 years. Like all Siamese she had a whim of iron -- a strength of will that was as big as the world. All the more amazing from such a small cat.

She was always happy and healthy and was never sick until the very end -- this last month she got so thin, wouldn't eat, etc. The vet said she just wore out, she was just old.

And tonight, after a month of being tended to, it was finally over. I'm grateful she didn't suffer. I'm so glad she was able to close her eyes lying on the bed where she slept so many nights, warm and safe, in the company of people who loved her. May we all be so fortunate when our time comes.

Our pets are the children of our hearts and it is so hard to let go.

Love you, Mandy girl.

9 Comments:

Blogger Velociman said...

My thoughts are with you. Losing a pet is so hard because we are their protectors as well as their friends. And yet when it is time, we are helpless. Godspeed.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Six said...

Og asked us to stop by and leave you some love.
Mrs. Six and I send you our thoughts and prayers. I'm sure Mandy is there, at the Rainbow Bridge. Waiting until you are together again.

11:52 PM  
Blogger Sven said...

Another "Og" follower...and critter caretaker.

Thoughts and prayers to you from myself and Missus Sven. It is a heartbreaker.

9:34 AM  
Anonymous George said...

Arrived via OG...Sorry about your loss. I've lost 2 dogs/3 cats over the years. They are all great in their own way. More perceptive friends than me say they have seen one of my departed sprits roaming my home, but, I never have. Yours is with you, regardless. Take care. GFA

12:32 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

by way of Og... so very sorry for your loss. I had a Mandy (looked just like yours) and her brother Max.
Among many others. Loved them all.

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Shash said...

hey honey, I'm sorry to hear that Mandy has gone from your life, but she's in a sunny, warm spot right now wishing she was back with you. But then again, maybe not. She's a cat.

She had a good, long life thanks to your mom and you.

Hugs, Shannon

6:26 PM  
Blogger Joan of Argghh! said...

Og's a good man to send us here, to sit with you a moment and share in your love and heartache for a sweet, sweet kitty. May you be comforted in your soft remembrances of such a dear little friend.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Firehand said...

Always hard to deal with.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

sorry for your loss. i know how you feel. my beloved cat mandy died this past monday and im devastated.

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home